Aliia Esenkulovna Bazhanova
Dean of the PhD Programs Department
PRIMARY MISSION of the DOCTORAL PROGRAM in PUBLIC HEALTH
To provide scholars with the disciplinary background and skills required to contribute to the development of our understanding and betteringthe ways to measure, maintain, and improve the public’s health. The field of Public health spans disciplines that use tools available in the laboratory, field research, social sciences, the public policy arena and mathematics. The core of this training includes the mastery of research tools in the specialty discipline chosen by the candidate. Students engage in a highly focused area of research reflecting scholarship at the doctoral level but are exposed to a broad view of public health as seen in the diverse research interests of the department’s faculty.
PhD program offers five concentrations:
- Occupational medicine
- Chronic diseases epidemiology
- Environmental health sciences
- Epidemiology of microbial diseases
- Health policy and management
PhD aspirant life
The ISM has facilities for scientific research and study. There are scientific laboratory, libraries and internet rooms in morphological and administrative campuses of the ISM. School conducts opportunities for internships of PhD aspirants regarding to theme of their scientific research.
PhD aspirants of the ISM were involved in participation with their scientific reports at the International Conference “Global health”, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (May, 2015), the International Conference “Central Asian Network for Education, Research and innovation in environmental health”, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (September, 2015). Reports of all participants from different countries were established in materials according to the each conference.
- Candidates must have a “Master’s degree” or higher professional education with “Specialist” award.
- Candidate must pass entrance examination on:
- One of the foreign languages (applicant’s choice)
- Applicants completed foreign language program above entrance mark will be free from entrance examination of foreign language.
- Re-examination is not allowed.
- Apprenticeship is 3 years with full-time studies.
PhD program training on contractual basis
Necessary documents (originals):
- Application form addressed to the Rector of ISM
- Validation of planned PhD thesis coordinated by a local or foreign scientific consultant
- Previous education documents (Diploma) with copy
- Copy of foreign languages certificate (if available)
- List of scientific and methodological researches (if available)
- 6 photos (3×4 cm)
- Medicalreference – 086 form
- Employment history
Address: Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek, 1f Intergelpost, 2nd floor, PhD Department
Phone: 0556163057; 0312 653991 (after 2 pm)
List of examination questions for admission to PhD studies on specialty 14.02.03 – Public health (2016 – 2017)
- PUBLIC HEALTH
- The definition of public health as a science.
- Modern issues of public health and health care in the world.
- The National Health Care Reform Program “Den Sooluk” for 2012-2016. Its goal, objectives, directions and key indicators.
- The health determinants. Social determinants of health.
- Fundamentals of state regulation in the field of health.
- Health care system and its components. Subjects of health care.
- Guaranteed package of free health services.
- State control and supervision in the field of health.
- State Sanitary and Epidemiological Supervision.
- The sanitary and epidemiological requirements.
- Education in the field of public health.
- State control in the field of medicinal products, medical devices and medical equipment.
- Sources of financial support of the health care system.
- Information in the field of health.
- Forms of health care.(Pre-hospital medical care; qualified medical care; specialized medical care; highly specialized medical care; medical and social aid; primary health care; Consultative and diagnostic services; Inpatient care, Ambulance medical services; Sanitary Aviation, Health care for emergency situations; Rehabilitation, palliative care and nursing)
- Organization of primary health care (PHC).The general practitioner / family physician in primary care.
- Types of morbidity. Their medical and social aspects, and study technique.
- Types of examinations in the field of health care (Examination of quality of medical services; Examination of a temporary invalidity; Military-medical examination; Medicolegal, forensic-psychiatric, judicial and narcological examinations; Sanitary and epidemiologic examination; Examination of medicines, products of medical appointment and medical equipment; Scientific and medical examination)
- Citizens’ health protection. Guarantee of the rights of health care. The rights of citizens. The rights of children.
- The duties of citizens, individual entrepreneurs and legal entities.
- Patients’ rights. Duties of patients.
- The right to refuse in medical treatment. Providing medical assistance without the consent of citizens.
- Medical secret.
- Health insurance.
- The World Health Organization, the structure, main activities.
- Disease prevention, the goal, objectives, type s, characteristic of each type.
- The definition of epidemiology as a science and as an independent section
- The epidemiological approach to the study of human diseases.
- The doctrine of the epidemic process. The origin of infectious diseases and their classification.
- Regularities of formation of the epidemic process. Ways of transmission of infectious diseases
- Social and environmental factors of the epidemic process.
- The main historical landmarks of Epidemiology
- Epidemiological surveillance of infectious diseases. Organization of epidemiological supervision: Principles and Practice.
- The content of anti-epidemic activities and the basis of its organization
- Immunization as prevention of Infectious Diseases. Immunobiological preparations
- Hospital Epidemiology. Control of nosocomial infections. The relevance and significance of the problem of hospital infections.
- Disinfection measures as one of the areas of anti-epidemic activities
- Organization of sanitary protection of the territory against the introduction of quarantine and other infectious diseases.
- Risk factors and etiology and socio-economic consequences of chronic diseases.
- Types of epidemiological studies. Classification.
- Clinical epidemiology, definition. Principles of clinical epidemiology.
- Types of clinical trial design (parallel, crossover, factorial and serial).
- Epidemiology of chronic diseases and New Public Health
- Health promotion. Medical activity of the population. The concept of a healthy lifestyle.
- The concept of “Health evidence-based” (EBM).World experience of development of EBM. Four steps in EBM.
- Systematic error.
- The concept of “systematic review”, the qualitative systematic review.
- Databases of medical information, EBM. Cochrane electronic library.
- The definition of “meta-analysis”, the purpose of application meta-analysis.
- National clinical guidelines.
- Randomized controlled trial (RCT).
- Cohort study. Benefits and disadvantages
- What is a blind research?
- The criteria for the effectiveness of treatment.
- Principles of the organization of health care workers of industrial enterprises.
- Issues of the organization of periodic and preliminary medical examinations of workers of industrial enterprises.
- Modern classification of industrial poisons and diseases.
- Issues of early detection and prevention of occupational diseases (intoxications).
- Issues of medical and social care provision at occupational diseases.
- General issues of occupational diseases, legal and regulatory framework to combat work-related diseases.
- Application of SWOT- analysis in the health care system.
- Health economics: goals, objectives, methods, basic direction.
- Health Management, purpose, objectives. Principles of management, control as a process of management cycle.
- The principles of management according to international standards.
- The main methods of social health studies.
- Information and educational programs to promote a healthy lifestyle for the population. Their goals, objectives, mechanisms of implementation.
- Medical demography: basic definitions and concepts. The role and importance of demographic indicators for the assessment of health, medical and social well-being and health care system(mortality, fertility and natural growth, maternal and infant mortality).
- Maternal and infant mortality, the main causes of maternal and infant mortality in Kyrgyzstan. Maternal and child health.
- Principles and methods of studying morbidity and its main groups. Accepted forms of morbidity statistics.
- The definition of Statistics, as a science, one of the main tools of public health. The concept of medical and health statistics.
- The concept of a general population. Types of sampling and their use. The concept of distribution.
- Descriptive statistics and evidence.
- Statistical sampling. Types of statistical samples. Requirements for them formation.
- Principles and approaches to the planning of statistical analysis. Steps statistical analysis and its elements.
- The structure and capabilities of analysis provided in MS Excel.
- Variation ranks. Determination and technique for constructing statistical range. Main features of variations and parameters.
- Tabular and graphical content. Concepts and definitions, principles and methods of construction, the use of statistical studies.
- Time series. Types, concepts and definitions, basic statistics and methods of analysis.
- Standard deviation. Determination and significance, properties and application in Statistics analysis.
- Standard error of the mean. Role, properties and the use in the statistical analysis.
- Measures of central tendency. Properties and their use.
- Parametric and nonparametric statistical analysis and criteria (basic concepts and definitions).
- The statistical probability and reliability: definitions and concepts; most common methods for determining their positive and negative features.
- Student t-test: concept and application methods and conditions.
- Correlation: concept and application methods and conditions.
- Regression: concept and application methods and conditions.
- ANOVA: concept and application methods and conditions
- Public Health and Health Care: Textbook / ed. VA Minyaev, NI Vishnjakov. – 5th ed. Revised. and add. – M .: MEDpress-inform, 2009. – 656 p.
- TH Tulchinsky, Varavikova EA New public health. Introduction to modern science. – Jerusalem, 1999. – S. 669-717.
- Wallace / Maxcy-Rosenau-Last. Public Health & Preventive Medicine. – McGraw-Hill, 2008. – p. 55-77, 1267-1284.
- Alma Ata conference on primary health care. // WHO Chronicle. 179. T. 33. №3
- Aday L.A., Begley C.E., Slater C.H. Evaluating the medical care system: Effectiveness, Efficiency, and Equity. Ann Arbor MI: Health Administration Press, 1993.
- Krichagina VI Where, when and who need a family doctor. // Medicine and Health: An overview. M., 1989.
- Starodubov VI, Kalinin AA ,Shlyafner SI Primary health care: state and development prospects. – M.: Medicine, 2007. – 264 p.
- Topics / Subtopics:
- Describing instruments, specific materials, experiments. Reading.
- Topic of research: methods, relevance, significance.
- Recent developments in science and medicine. International conference.
- Ethical methods in modern society. Scientific etiquette: referring to sources, reporting information, avoiding plagiarism.
- Science and education. Competencies of PhD student.
- Topics on epidemiology, pathophysiology, treatment and prevention of communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Degrees of comparison
- Linking words and phrases
- Tenses. Passive/active voice
- Infinitive, participle, gerund
- Conditional sentences
- Word formation
- Emphatic structures
- Modal verbs
- Attribute groups
- RukovN., ShahovaN.:Learn to Read Science. English for aspirants:
- MichelsonT.:Workbook on Grammar in English.
- Michelson T. Tutorialforscientificworkers for developmentof oral speech skills:English.
- RubtsovaM. Full course of English, teach-yourself book.
- SocolovS.Readingofscientifictexts and oral speech in English.
- Savinova E. Dictionary for reading of scientific literature in English.
- Yablochkov T.Handbook of international scientific conferences participant: English.
- Stupin L. Scientific conference: Russian-English phrasebook.
- Multimedia English Platinum.
- MultimediaDiamond English.
- Multimedia Ignatova T. English for communications.
- Multimedia encyclopedia Britannica
- о up.com/elt/global/products/headway